Does Homeopathy Work?
Yes. Homeopathic remedies work. They have helped my family get over virus, allergies, insomnia and anxiety to name a few. For me, the best proof that homeopathic remedies work is my own experience in taking them and seeing my kids respond to them.
There is a simple way to find out if they work for you… try them. They are not expensive so you can easily choose 2 or 3 and see how you respond.
If you like trials and studies, the following link will take you to one from the HRI (Homeopathy Research Institute) that is very well constructed and methodologically sound.
Trials of individualised homeopathic treatment compared to placebo
How Do Homeopathic Remedies Work?
The remedies work best when you can really get a clear and complete picture of ALL of the patients symptoms. I wasn’t able to list everything here since I am concentrating on anxiety but I will link to a great resource where comprehensive descriptions of remedies can be found at the end of this article.
Have you heard of the Law of Similars? It is a law of nature discovered in eighteenth century Germany by a physician and scholar named Samuel Hahnemann.
The Law of Similars states the following: Those symptoms that a substance is able to cause to appear in a person when exposed to it, that same substance also has the ability to cure those symptoms in a person where they occur naturally as part of a disease process.
This is also known as “like cures like” and is the basis of homeopathy. (Homeo = “similar”, pathos = “disease”)
The success of the remedies does not depend on belief in it nor an understanding of how it works.
The Best Homeopathic Remedies for Anxiety
The bullet points beneath each remedy describe the symptoms experienced by a person who might benefit from the remedy. Each remedy may help with many other types of symptoms, for example Arsenicum Album, listed below for anxiety, also helps depression caused by failing to meet personal lofty standards, and physical symptoms like colds, cough, eczema and allergies.
Please Note: Not every associated symptom needs to be present, just a few are enough.
- Sudden onset of intense symptoms like sudden panic attack with strong fear
- Restless, intense fear of death
- Anxiety increases when left alone
- Worse from dry, cold air
- Afraid of a crowd or of crossing busy streets
- Apprehensive of the future, Fear of approaching death (predicts the day)
- Oversensitive ; cannot bear light or noise
- Oversensitive to pain, especially at night, seem insufferable
- Face very red and flushed, turns pale on rising up
- Tosses about in agony; throws off covering
- Dry skin, dry mouth, fast heartbeat
- Uncertainty based anxiety
- Many things cause anxiety, health concerns (hypochondria), closed spaces (claustrophobia), bridges, heights
- Fear of everyday things may lead to obsessive compulsive behaviors (hidden irrational motives for actions)
- Feeling of hurriedness, speaks quickly (impulsive)
- Digestive upsets like diarrhea and stomach ache with belching
- Feelings of apprehension, stage fright along with agitation
- Great desire for sweets and craving for salt
- Intolerance for heat (warm blooded)
- Looks anxious and drawn
- Deeply anxious about health, convinced they have a physical illness
- Feel that they will never be well again
- Digestive problems or asthma attacks along with panic attacks
- Fastidious, able to give a lot of detail about their symptoms
- Fear, apprehension, dread, overwhelming feeling that everything will go wrong
- Extremely concerned with order and security
- Obsessive about small details, neat and tidy
- May feel a desperate need to control everything
- Panic attacks around midnight or early morning hours
- Feel exhausted yet still restless, anxiously moving from place to place
- Responsible, dependable people,
- Prone to feeling overwhelmed from illness or overwork
- Averse to work or exertion with insomnia
- Craves stability, protection, dreads disaster
- Overly cautious
- Anxious about things like heights, health, mice, rats, insanity, animals – especially dogs
- Highly sensitive to unpleasant things or cruelty
- Large build, strong appetite, gain weight easily, poor stamina
- Shortness of breath on exertion when climbing stairs or hills
- Slight mental effort produces hot head.
- Craves eggs, sweets or things such as dirt or charcoal
- Easily fatigued
- Chilly and sluggish but may sweat around the head and neck or have cold, clammy hands and feet
- Fear of breaking out of any safe routine, listmakers
- Anxiety worsens when plans are changed, can’t go with the flow
- Anxious when things are left undone or not going according to plan
- Anxiety may manifest as anger, envy, hatred, withdrawal, unresponsiveness, despair, or indifference
- Mental and physical exhaustion from overwork or illness leads to serious anxiety and inability to cope
- Weakness, fatigue, irritability
- Heightened sensitivity, jumpy, startles easily
- May develop insomnia and an inability to concentrate
- Nervous and shy with blushing
- Averse to meeting people, want to be alone
- Looses self-control when exhausted, may be irritable or harsh toward family members
- Headaches, backaches, digestive upset
- Hearing the news (unpleasant world events) can cause panic and dread
- Symptoms worsened by cold
- Relief from eating, warmth, gentle motion and rest
- Anxiety from mental stress
- Irritability when waking up
- Lack of confidence, feels weak and inadequate, may cover it up by boasting, bullying or domineering
- Intimidated by those perceived as powerful
- Responsibility can cause deep anxiety and fear of failure leading to avoidance of responsibility
- Fear of public speaking but often does it well
- Digestive upset, gas, bloating and craving for sweets
- Intense and vivid fears of anything and everything
- Fears that something bad will happen, (death)
- Hypersensitive senses, strong reactions to odors, sounds, touch, flavors, textures
- Openhearted, extend sympathy to others to the point of exhaustion
- Want company and reassurance
- Foggy brain, difficulty thinking results in coming across as apathetic or withdrawn
- Numbness or tingling fingers
- Flushing of the face, high thirst, palpitations,
- Want cold refreshing foods
- Relief from company, conversation and naps
- Sensitive and sympathetic toward others
- Weep easily and crave attention and sympathy
- Anxiety expressed as insecurity and clinging to others
- Need constant consolation and comfort
- Helps those with anxiety related to hormonal changes
- Warmth and stuffy rooms increase anxiety
- Feels relief from fresh air and mild exercise
How to Take Homeopathic Remedies
Remedies come in combination formulas and singles. The remedies I listed above are all single remedies however you can also get combination remedies that combine several singles to address one concern. For example, there are combination remedies for the flu, allergies, and insomnia.
When taking a single remedy, you must choose a potency. The potency refers to how many times a remedy has been diluted and processed. The active ingredient is diluted and shaken vigorously. The most common dosing systems are X and C. X potencies are diluted on a scale of 1:10 and C potencies on a scale of 1:100. The medicines increase in potency the more they are diluted.
So to translate all of this into practical terms, any remedy with a “C” after it is stronger than an “X” remedy. 30C is more potent than 30X. Although it seems backwards remember the more a remedy is diluted the stronger or more potent it is.
I’ve seen single remedies available in over 50 different potencies ranging from 7X to 200C to 50M. M is the roman numeral for 1000 so a “1M” remedy has been diluted 1000 times and a “50M” has been diluted 50,000 times.
Which Potency Should I Choose?
I like this explanation: Low dilutions like 6X and 6C work for symptoms you can point a finger at like a bruise, cut or insect bite. Medium dilutions such as 12X or 12C can relieve more than one symptom in more than one location like muscle aches and pains. Higher dilutions, even 30X and 30C also help with the same as a medium dilution PLUS emotional and behavioral issues. So each successive higher potency is healing deeper illness.
If the correct remedy is chosen, any dilution will work. If you only have a 6X available, take it. You may have to take more doses, more often than you would a 30X. I’ve heard of a 200C remedy that put the issue to rest after taking a single dose.
If you start with a low potency and you see results you can move up to a higher potency to continue treatment. If you start with a low dose and do not see results you will know to choose a different remedy.
Low potencies are also good for chronic symptoms when the remedy will be taken several times a day.
Practically speaking… we can’t all have 3 different potencies of each remedy in our cupboard. The most common potency I find at my local health food store is 30C so I tend to use those with good results.
- Take 15 mintues before or after eating, drinking or brushing your teeth as strong flavors in the mouth may interfere with absorbtion.
- Food in the digestive tract does not matter, the remedies are absorbed in the mouth.
- When using pellets it’s best not to touch them.
- Tap the pellets into the lid and drop them under the tongue to dissolve.
- Follow package directions for how often to take the remedy.
- Dosage does not depend on weight or age.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can I take more than one remedy at the same time?
A: It is perfectly safe to take more than one remedy at the same time. Combination formulas combine several different remedies that work together. For example Boiron’s “Cold Calm” formula combines 8 different remedies.
Q: Can I take the remedies if I take prescription medication?
A: There are no known interactions when taking homeopathic remedies with conventional medicines and sometimes they are recommended to complement medical treatments.
Q: How many different forms do homeopathic remedies come in?
A: The most common forms are liquids which sometimes contain alcohol and pellets which usually contain lactose. There are also gels, ointments, creams, syrups, eye drops and suppositories. Remedies for pets are also available.
Q: Can children take homeopathic remedies?
A: Poison.org states that homeopathic remedies are generally considered non-toxic however, there have been reports of adverse effects if the patient was highly allergic to an active ingredient. Homeopathics diluted in alcohol are not suitable for children. Remedies diluted in honey should not be given to children under 12 months old.
Where Can I Buy Homeopathic Remedies?
OLLOIS carries Certified Organic, pharmaceutical quality, lactose free, gluten free Homeopathic Remedies / 20% discount off your first order / Flat rate shipping $4.99 / Free Shipping on orders of $49+ / Offers remedies for pets too!
HRI Research – Homeopathy Use Around the World – Facts and figures
Homeopathy Plus – Know Your Remedies – Comprehensive descriptions of symptoms for each remedy.